Housing Counseling Program

United Neighborhood Centers offers a free comprehensive Housing Counseling Program for community members who are homeless, at risk of homelessness, or looking to improve their current housing situation.

The Housing Counseling Program consists of the following components:

  1. Housing Intake: During this initial assessment, a Housing Intake worker will collect your basic information and documentation, create a household budget, and make an action plan with detailed steps to help resolve the housing crisis. As needed, the Housing Intake worker will also refer you to other community resources for additional support. To preview the Housing Intake packet, click here.
  2. Budgeting and Financial Management Workshop: This one-time workshop covers the basics of creating and maintaining a household budget, banking, credit, and savings plans. To preview the workshop packet, click here.
  3. Case Management: During these one-on-one sessions, a Housing Counselor will help guide you through different options to resolving your housing issue. Counselors can assist with apartment searching, applying to subsidized or public housing, communicating with landlords, and sometimes offering rental assistance.
  4. Financial Assistance: Depending on eligibility, sometimes we can offer rental assistance to prevent or resolve a housing crisis. *Please note that participation in the Housing Counseling Program does not guarantee financial assistance.

To learn more about our program or to schedule a Housing Intake, please call our Community Services Department at (570)343-8835 and leave a message with your name and phone number. Be ready to provide the following documents:

  • Photo ID
  • Social Security cards for everyone in your household
  • Proof of homelessness or risk of homelessness (ex: letter from homeless shelter, eviction notice from landlord, eviction notice from magisterial court, letter from domestic violence service provider, letter from agency sponsoring hotel stay, etc.)
  • Proof of income and public benefits (ex: most recent 30 days of pay stubs, new job employment verification form, current SNAP/ TANF award letter, Unemployment Compensation award letter, current year Social Security Award Letter, etc.)